Tax Faq (Malaysia Tax)

Frequently Asked Questions.
There are always a lot of question asked when come to Taxation. Here are the compilation of FAQ about Assessment of Tax.

Q : Hey I have not received my Income Tax Return Form.Last year i received it a bit earlier.How do I obtain a copy of the said form?
A : Contact the Assessment Branch where your income tax file is registered or the nearest Inland Revenue office and request for the relevant forms. That’s it.

Q : I am currently working in Kuala Lumpur but my income tax file is at the Inland Revenue Branch in Ipoh. I have changed my place of work from Ipoh to KL. Can my income tax file be transferred to Kuala Lumpur?
A : You may by way of telephone or letter to the Inland Revenue Branch Ipoh request for your tax file to be transfered to the Inland Revenue Branch Jalan Duta or the nearest branch decided by you. You have to inform the new Branch (in this case the Jalan Duta branch) of any future change of address.

Q : I want to make a claim on medical expenses expended on myself , what should i do?
A : You may claim medical expenses for serious diseases expended on you, your spouse or child up to a maximum of RM 5,000.00 a year and medical expenses for parents up to a maximum of RM 5,000.00 a year. Such a claim must be supported by original receipts issued by a medical practitioner.

Q : Is there a limit to the number of children entitled to child relief under the Income Tax Act? I have 12 children.
A : No, no limit to the number of children, but relief will only be given for any dependent unmarried child who at the time is:
i. below 18 years of age;
ii. if above 18 years of age, was in receipt of full time education or is under articleship or indenture in trade or profession; or
iii. is physically or mentally disabled (relief for physically or mentally disabled child is RM 5,000.00).

Q : If I pay zakat or fitrah (religious tithes), can I make a claim of set-off against the tax payable?
A : Yes, you can provided that if you are a Muslim. You have to forward the original receipts to substantiate your claim. The receipts must be in the name of the taxpayer.

Q : If I make a donation to my Kampung Masjid Fund, can I make a claim for deduction from my tax?
A : You can make a claim for deduction for the donation made but the donation must be made to a body or fund approved by the Director General. Usually the approval (gazette notification) will be stated on the receipt. You have to forward the original receipt with your Form B for the relevant year of assessment.

I will add more in future. Happy reading.

Filed Under: Tax

2 Responses to Tax Faq (Malaysia Tax)

  1. This design is spectacular! You obviously know how to keep a reader entertained.
    Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog
    (well, almost…HaHa!) Excellent job. I really loved what you
    had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.
    Too cool!
    Cora recently posted..Cora

Leave a reply

CommentLuv badge