Tux Paint is an easy-to-use drawing program, designed for children ages 3 and up.It combines an easy-to-use interface, fun sound effects, and an encouraging cartoon mascot who guides children as they use the program.Kids are presented with a blank canvas and a variety of drawing tools to help them be creative.
Tux Paint is easy enough to be used by young children, yet provides enough features to keep them using it as they grow older. Some of its features are :
Works on Mac OS X (Intel and PPC), Windows (Windows95 through Vista), Linux and other systems.
- A number of useful drawing tools are made available.
- The drawing canvas is a fixed size, so the user doesn’t need to worry about ‘pixels’ or ‘inches’ when making a new picture.
- The entire program fits on a screen as small as 640×480, and can be displayed full-screen, to hide the computer’s underlying ‘desktop’ interface. (It defaults to 800×600 mode, but can run at larger sizes and in portrait or landscape mode, as well.)
- Loading and saving of images is done using thumbnails, so no knowledge of the underlying operating system’s filesystem structure is needed. Even filenames are unnecessary.
- Fun sound effects are played when tools are selected and used.
- A cartoon version of Tux, the Linux penguin, appears at the bottom to give tips, hints and information.
- Paint brush
- Various brushes available
- Brushes can be animated
- Brushes can change shape depending on the direction they’re drawn
- Rubber stamp
- Hundreds of photographic and cartoon stamps images are available
- Parents/teachers can add more stamps and create categories
- Stamps can have descriptive text and sound samples (names, facts, etc.) and/or sound effects assigned to them
- ‘Rubberband’ shows where the line will be drawn as you move the mouse
- Shape tool
- Draw various filled and unfilled polygonal shapes
- Rotate shapes (this feature can be disabled for younger children)
- Text and Label tools
- Come with various fonts
- Bold, italic and size can be changed
- Parents/teachers can add more fonts
- Supports numerous languages
- Labels may be moved or edited later (Coming soon)
- ‘Magic’ (special effects) tool
- Blind – pull window blinds down, or across, the picture (Coming soon)
- Blocks – turn parts of the picture ‘blocky’
- Multiple levels of undo
- Undo actions can themselves be undone with the ‘Redo’ button